For this eye-catching update to the traditional mashed sweet potato, the root vegetable is sliced thin, brushed with butter, and baked until crisp yet tender.
Makes 8 servings
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- 5 large sweet potatoes, washed
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- Garnish: fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400°. Coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray; add
- tablespoons melted butter to bottom of dish.
- Using a mandoline or knife, slice sweet potatoes to 1⁄8-inch-thick rounds. Holding slices together, place in pan. Tuck in garlic among slices. Brush sweet potatoes with remaining 3 tablespoons melted butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake until potatoes are tender and crisp, about 1¼ hours. Garnish with thyme, if desired.