Most people seem to have everything they need already, but somehow, minimalists seem to take that to another level. What does one give to someone who has everything, lives by the mantra that “less is more”, and wants nothing that will either clutter or lie unneeded?
Oh, the pressure is on!
But buying for your favourite material-conscious friend can be a breeze by sticking to a few guidelines.
- Buy an e-gift card. Skip the card and save on single-use plastics –buy an e-gift card to someplace that will give your friend lots of choices to choose from. Perhaps their favourite health and food store, a lovely restaurant, or the ever popular choice, Amazon.
- Gift a craft or food kit. Choose a DIY kit based on your recipient’s tastes, and they’ll be able to hone and refine their skills to create something beautiful and or tasty. Personally, I’ve always wanted to try making (and eating!) my own poutine curds!
- Give to a worthy cause on your friend’s behalf! Make a symbolic wildlife adoption (I personally love World Wildlife Fund.). A cute plushie is optional, but you get to make a difference for the animals and their habitats!
- Give an advent calendar or two! These can be given early in the holiday season for the recipient to enjoy all season long. Depending on the budget, I think it is nice to give two –for instance, one of fine chocolate, and the other filled with artisan teas. It makes a beautiful pairing and a lovely surprise throughout the month!
- Gift a DNA kit. Ahead of New Year’s resolutions, present a new dimension of getting to know oneself a little bit better to your minimalist loved one!
- Absolutely nothing. This one is my favourite. Bake them a tin of special holiday treats, write them a beautiful card, then meet up with that special person for some one-on-one chats and maybe a steaming cup of peppermint hot chocolate, too. Spend time with your loved one! So underwhelming on paper, but so heartwarming for the soul.
If you have a minimalist in your life, what have you gifted to great success?